Post Top Ad

mercredi 1 octobre 2014

Mixing with S/PDIF Outputs

I'm wondering if there's any advantage to using the S/PDIF outputs from my Focusrite Scarlett8i6 when I'm mixing. My set up is that the audio outputs from the 8i6 go to my Mackie Onyx 32-4 mixer and from the mixer to my monitors...a pair of JBL LSR 4326s. I did it this way for a couple reason, one is that I have all my external synths going through the Mackie so I can route them to the 8i6 when I want to lay down tracks with them. Also, set up this way I can just sit an play one of the keyboards when I want without having to turn anything else on like the computer or the 8i6. Just convenient.



However, the 8i6 does have the S/PDIF in/out and the LSR's have S/PDIF in/out. I could take the out from the 8i6 to the in on the left LSR and the out of that one to in on the right one. That links them up and, if I'm right, the output I'm hearing would be essentially direct from the PT session without anything passing through the Mackie at all.



Now, the Mackie is nice, quiet and clean, but I've never actually compared the sound of direct versus the Mackie either. Clearly if anything is colored by the Mackie during the mix, it is only in what I hear and not in the mix itself.



So, I'm wondering if I gain anything by adding the S/PDIF set up and using that when I'm ready to do a final mix? Thoughts?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

We’ll never share your email address with a third-party.

Libellés

Libellés

Libellés